These. Cookie dough in bite form (!!). As I love to do, I have taken my favorite salmonella-studded raw treat and transformed it into a healthier indulgence by using some of my favorite whole foods: almonds for texture and monosaturated fat, dates for that buttery sugar sweetness and fiber, cinnamon and vanilla for antioxidants and that cookie dough flavor. And finally- mini chocolate chips for that tell-tale sign that we’ve got a chocolate chip cookie on our hands.
I would bet you that they don’t last until lunchtime if you’re anything like me and packing my lunch- though I try to keep a sweet bite for after lunch, I end up reaching for it with my coffee. With these bites, it’s a welcome nutrient-dense addition.
- 1 and ¼ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup Deglet dates
- Scant ⅓ cup almond milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- If you want to make your own almond meal, pulse 1 heaping cup of raw unsalted almonds in the food processor until very crumbly and no large pieces remain. Remove from the food processor to continue the recipe. You can use blanched almonds, but I just use whole raw almonds.
- In a food processor or blender, combine dates (it should be 8-9 dates) and milk and process until dates are in very small pieces.
- Add in almond meal, vanilla bean paste (or extract), salt and cinnamon. Process until combined. Add in mini chocolate chips and incorporate them into the dough.
- Refrigerate the dough for 10 minutes until it is a bit less sticky, and then roll the cookie dough into 16 half-tablespoon sized balls or 8 tablespoon sized cookies (just flatten the balls).
- Store in a freezer bag for up to 2 months.
While these are perfect straight out of the freezer, they are equally as good smushed into a work or school lunch, or grabbed on the run for a sweet snack. Check out the rest of the bars and bites the Recipe Redux community put together at the end of this post for more snack ideas that are healthy and satisfying. The subtly sweet chocolate chip cookie dough flavor of these bites is just a big bonus!