Breakfast Waffle Sundaes with Plain Yogurt, Fresh Fruit & Cocoa Maple Syrup

A Healthy Breakfast Waffle Sundae made with fruit, wholegrain waffles, and plain yogurt

I don’t even know how to start this post except by saying that this is one of my favorite recipes ever. While taking the photos and not trying to smash the breakfast-meets-dessert waffle sundae into my mouth, I just knew these were bound to be good. And holy cow (like my pun?), I was right.

Waffle Banana Splits with Cocoa Maple Sauce and YogurtI previously made a Raspberry Coconut Chia Seed Pudding recipe for Noosa, and now I schemed with them on a new recipe using Noosa Plain Yoghurt. This rich, thick yoghurt has no added sugar or honey and is a serious treat – it definitely takes this waffle sundae concept from plain to insane by mimicking the velvety mouth-feel of ice cream.

Breakfast Waffle Sundae made with plain yogurt, fruit, and wholegrain waffles

5.0 from 1 reviews

• 8 ounces Noosa plain yoghurt
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  • ½ teaspoon cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons walnuts
  • Cherries for topping
Instructions
  1. Make your favorite waffle recipe or toast 4 frozen multigrain waffles.
  2. Slice bananas in half lengthwise and dice strawberries.
  3. On 2 plates, place a waffle on the bottom with a bit of yogurt and then add a banana sliced in half and a few diced strawberries. Layer the next waffle and top with a little less than a ½ cup yogurt.
  4. Whisk together maple syrup and cocoa powder and drizzle over the waffle sundaes.
  5. Garnish with the additional diced strawberries, chopped nuts, and a cherry.
Notes
If using Belgian waffles, which are much larger and square shaped, just use 2 total for the recipe. I used Kashi 7 Grain frozen waffles, and you could easily substitute gluten-free waffles.

Breakfast Banana Waffle Split with plain yogurtIf we want to get technical, this recipe is more like a confused banana split filled with healthy fats and protein, but a breakfast waffle sundae sounds more elegant. Whole grain waffles, creamy yogurt, fresh fruit, cocoa-spiked maple syrup, crunchy walnuts and a cherry… let’s go with it for breakfast – who’s coming over?

Breakfast Waffle Fruit Sundae topped with yogurt and cocoa maple syrup

Want to experience the magic of Noosa Plain in the privacy of your own home? Leave a comment below letting me know how you enjoy plain yogurt and I’ll pick one lucky duck by next Monday, August 4th to get some coupons in the mail to try it out!

Disclaimer: I received Noosa Yoghurt for recipe development. The giveaway is sponsored by Noosa. All opinions are my own.

Marisa

Comments

1. Venice says

That looks sooo yummy :) wish I got to try it!
    Yogurt with fresh fruit (I like banana, apple, peach – now that it’s in season, and a berry of some kind) topped with vanilla granola and a spoonful of wheat germ. YUMMM

2. says

I actually love adding yogurt to my waffles too! Sometimes I also use it when baking low-fat treats and some other times I just add some fruits and have it as a snack or dessert :)

3. says

These photos are gorg (of course). I love plain yogurt with ANYTHING. I’m a yogurt freak. I actually had the best greek yogurt from the Mexican place by Skip Bayless at O’Hare this morning… probably because it was full fat. Pinning this now for the weekend :)

• Marisa says

Thank you lady!! That sounds delish. Yes, this yogurt is definitely not fat-free- you can always tell the amazing difference in texture and mouth-feel!

4. says

I’ve been wanting to try Noosa for a while! I’ve heard that it’s super creamy and rich. My favorite way to use yogurt is swirling blueberries in yogurt and freezing them for a tasty dessert!

• Marisa says

Well then I’m crossing my fingers for ya that you score some coupons ;) That sounds incredible – definitely need to get my hands on more juicy blueberries.

• Marisa says

Thank you Jennifer! Fruit is nature’s sweetener (but I just happened to throw some cocoa maple syrup on there too for good measure, haha!).

• Marisa says

Agreed – it has grown on me tremendously and I still prefer the flavor of higher fat yogurts because they are creamier and less tangy.

5. says

YUMMMM! I’m pretty new to the yogurt train and am just starting to enjoy regular yogurt….. I have to give Noosa another try because when I tried it a little while ago it was still too tart for me! <<I'm a baby.

• Marisa says

I definitely think you would love the fruit flavored Noosas… they are not tart and if you mix them up well, there’s plenty of sweetness from the fruit on the bottom! I’m glad you’re expanding your palette with yogurt :D

• Marisa says

Ah thank you so much for the compliment, Meghan! I miss cooking with Laurel & am glad she has recreating some recipes for you!