Banana Walnut Muffins

At work, I am the party planning committee. I love celebrating birthdays and work-a-versaries, because it brings some fun and excitement to surprise people with a treat. As I work in diabetes prevention, I try to make healthy swaps to tasty treats on a regular basis instead of bringing in grocery store cupcakes or doughnuts. While many people are aware of how to make healthy substitutions, I think people also love when I bring in treats that taste authentic but are heart healthy and lower sugar.

Banana Nut Muffins (made with oats, mashed banana and applesauce)I brought these Banana Walnut muffins into work last week, and people were excited finding out that there was no butter in the recipe even though they were slightly dense and very moist. I used some oats in place of extra flour, and plenty of mashed banana and applesauce to substitute butter. For fun, I decorated the tops with extra chopped walnuts and chocolate chunks.

If you want a delicious cupcake version of this recipe (with peanut butter frosting made with greek yogurt!), check out my banana nut cupcakes. They do not have applesauce and use honey instead of sugar, so they are a good option if you want to swap some ingredients around!

Banana Walnut Muffins (makes 16 muffins)

• 1 c all purpose flour
  • 1 c oats
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 & 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 4)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1/2 c walnuts, chopped
  • Optional: walnuts & chocolate chunks for topping

Banana Walnut MuffinsPreheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a smaller bowl, mash bananas together with applesauce, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Stir in walnuts.

Spoon batter into a well-greased muffin tin and top with chopped walnuts and chocolate chunks if you’d like. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes.

Banana Walnut Muffins (lowfat recipe)Muffins made healthy! You should definitely eat two.

Marisa

Comments

• Marisa says

Hi Hannah! I couldn’t resist adding some chocolate… I mean, really! Haha. I think they might be a bit more dense, but it will work since they’re very moist muffins. They will still be just as flavorful!

• Marisa says

Agreed! I eat at least a banana a day in the summer- whether it be in a smoothie, oatmeal, as a snack with peanut butter, or in something like these muffins!

• Marisa says

Yes! Because we all have to treat ourselves somehow :) I’ll take the banana puree and applesauce route instead of butter and oil!

1. says

I’m always looking for healthy work options too! These muffins don’t look like you’re even making any sort of sacrifice, they looks absolutely fabulous!!!

THe banana walnut combo is always a winner with me. I used to have a job with only 11 other co-workers and were asked to bring in (gasp) 4 dozen donuts every Friday. Like, each person was supposed to consume 4 donuts, that’s just not right.

I’m glad I shared this story with someone who works in diabetes prevention. hehe

• Marisa says

Oh my gosh, yes! Thank you for sharing! That is pretty crazy- and I would be tempted to just eat my allocated 4 since I do have a weakness for doughnuts (check out my latest instagram post, haha), but that is definitely not a healthy way to start off the weekend! I’d rather eat my muffin for breakfast and save some calories for some happy hour margaritas and chips with guac :)

• Marisa says

Finding things out of boxes is always a challenge- hope you get to make muffins sometime soon once you unearth the pan!

• Marisa says

I have the SAME problem, Leigha, because I eat so many bananas and use them in smoothies! My solution is to buy about $3 worth of bananas on a week I want to make baked goods (which is like, 20 bananas!!) and then I get tons of ripe ones to freeze by the end of the week for smoothies or for using in bread. Bananas are so cheap that it’s easy to stock up to get ripe ones!

• Marisa says

I know, they’re so fun to bake into individual portions! They would be perfect for roadtripping in cupcake liners. Let me know how they turn out for you, Tara!

• Marisa says

You have a jackpot of gold in your freezer, then! Jealous! Send me over some once you’re done making these muffins :)

• Marisa says

Hi Julie: Sorry for the late reply! I normally will google a nutrition calculator and input the ingredients. I haven’t done that with this recipe but let me know what you calculate if you do!

Trackbacks